Tweet

Friday 1 November 2013

40 Hours without the Internet

You must be wondering that 40 hours is not such a long time to live without the Internet, Yes even I felt that till it happened to me. MTNL’s Internet connection is normally quite dependable and this was just one of those times that I was let down because of it. There are pros and cons of working in an environment where the internet is the major source of completing your work, one of the pros being that you can get a lot done even at home and obviously one of the cons being that if your internet connection dies on you, you are left high and dry, something which I have been experiencing since yesterday. 



Thus working was out of the question and because all my friends were busy working in their respective offices, so going out was not an option. With no one at home, the next best thing to do was to catch up on some TV series, movies and on a bit of reading. I had a lot in the pipeline as far as these “verticals” were concerned. So I started out with season 3 of ‘The Inbetweeners’, A UK based sitcom. Baring some exceptions, I have always fancied British sitcoms , they are leaps and bounds ahead of American sitcoms in terms of comic timing , direction and ofcourse the script .Even though British sitcoms have only a handful of episodes per season  ,but they are always worthy of a watch. So 6 episodes, 25 minutes each and after two and a half hours of laughter I was left wondering what to do next. I remembered that I still had to catch up on ‘Breaking Bad’ season 5 and that is just what i did. After 16 riveting episodes, I was left wanting for more. In my book, one of the best Drama series ever and in a close fight with ‘The Wire’ for the top spot. After straining my eyes for over 10 hours, obviously with some brakes in between, I wanted a rest, so decided to call it a day. It’s very easy to oversleep when the weather is as pleasant as it is these days, and that is just what happened.  I got up late the next day and tried every possible way to make sure the internet started working again, but to no avail. 

With Diwali just around the corner, I was given a shopping list and because I had nothing better to do, promptly went about doing what my parents asked me to do. After running some errands, I got back to whiling away my time by catching up on a laughter riot of a movie, ‘Carry on Jatta’. I am sure that all Punjabi’s have seen this flick more than once and it still makes me laugh the same way it did, when I first  saw it. By the way, the sequel is set for a 2014 release.





After thinking on what to do next, I set my sights on Sherlock Holmes. I had ordered the complete book set from Flipkart some time back but never got around to it much. This was a perfect opportunity to get in some reading time and so set about reading the second story, ‘The sign of four’. After reading two stories now ,I have to admit that the novel lingers on a bit  as opposed to the sitcom. Benedict Cumberbatch has done a fine job portraying Sherlock , even a shade better than Robert Downey jr. I think like me, everyone else is gearing up for the third season of this epic series. It was almost evening by the time I finished. Luckily some friends wanted to catch up in the evening and i got a break from sitting at home. I came back at night and after a pleasant evening, dozed off and woke up in the morning to see the internet up and running once again. This brought an end to the so called siege.

Yes, the past forty hours might not have been the most path breaking time ever recorded in history, but this was a much needed break from the Internet world, which told me to reduce my online time and to concentrate more on other aspects of life.  I also got a chance to add an entry to my blog , what more could I have asked for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment